[Mailman-Users] FW: Unexpected Mailman error

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jun 10 20:01:35 CEST 2004

At 10:48 AM -0700 2004-06-10, Sandra Hansen wrote:

>                                  Somehow messages have been distributed
>  to our 800+ subscribers containing an attachment with the Bagle virus. I
>  am running MailMan 2.0.11. We ARE seeking an administrator with Unix
>  experience to upgrade our MailMan system. Meanwhile, I'm struggling with
>  the problem. I CANNOT find any place in MailMan to block all
>  attachments.

	See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.008.htp>
and
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.013.htp>.

>                                                                     My
>  ISP is recommending an upgrade from SendMail 8.11.x to SendMail 8.12
>  which appears to incorporate MIMEDefang.

	So far as I know, MIMEDefang is not incorporated by default with
sendmail 8.12.  You can choose to incorporate MIMEDefang with
sendmail if you like (or most any other MTA, if you prefer something
other than sendmail), but this is not done by default.

	It might be simplest to upgrade to Mailman 2.1.x, which provides
some MIME handling features which could be used to strip most types
of attachments.

>  Meanwhile, I have received the following MailMan error message. Is it
>  related to whatever is allowing postings to go out without moderation?
>  How do I implement a fix? I have exchanged xxx in the following message
>  for the actual strings, having list and domain names--

	I'm not sure what this error message means.

	However, until you get some sort of method of protecting your
subscribers against malicious attachments being sent via the mailing
list, I would urge you to *not* allow any messages to go through
un-moderated.

	Trust me, if you allow messages to go out un-moderated, once one
user gets infected with a virus/worm like Bagle, your problem could
explode by many orders of magnitude.  You do *not* want your problem
to become 800+ users mailing out copies of Bagle to all of the other
800+ subscribers, and each time a person gets re-infected, they
re-mail out the same virus to all the other 800+ subscribers.

	Talk about a serious melt-down.  Yowch!