[Mailman-Users] Upgrade to 2.1.4 failed - user lost - recover via backup unsuccessful - any ideas?

Alex Dupont usenetforum at gmx.net
Mon Jun 7 09:49:26 CEST 2004

Hello,

> Have you also tried "bin/update --force" ?

I have now... It produced quite a bit of output, such as e.g.:
"Updating mailing list: LISTNAME
Updating the held requests database.  // every list
- updating old private mbox file
- updating old public mbox file
Fixing language templates: LISTNAME     // every list
[...]
updating old qfiles"

Especially the list where I have lost subscribers (most of them at
least) gave me "Your installation seems up-to-date, great!" regarding
the mbox-file. Not important (the archive), but interesting.

However, it didn't help at all. Again, it stripped the backup-file
(that I had renamed to config.pck before executing the above command)
from 533 KB to 83 KB - and still the old (no good) subscriber list.

Something that really disturbs me, is the fact that when I
rename the old file, my list settings show a status that is totally
outdated - I can tell right away by the fact that the URL is incorrect
(it had been changed to a sub-domain since with no redirect). I'm at a
point where I am almost certain that something went wrong with/during
the backup.
The only thing I don't understand is why the backup-file (even though
it contains some old settings) has a significantly bigger size than
the one created now when I start the qrunner (or doing /bin/update).
But maybe one of my assumptions is incorrect: I thought till now that
the fact that it has a bigger size is connected with the fact that the
subscriber list is much bigger than in/with the smaller, new
config.pck. But maybe that doesn't have anything to do with it? Yet I
have lists with 15 subscribers and there my config.pck has like 4 KB.
So it should be connected?

> Another useful script in the bin directory may be dumpdb.
> It will dump all the data in your backup file if the format is not
> corrupted.

Doing "perl dumpdb /var/lib/mailman/lists/LISTNAME/config.pck" prints
the following error:
"Traceback (most recent[...]):
   File "dumpdb", line 134, in ?
     msg = main()
   File "dumpdb", line 126, in main
     m = pickle.load(open(filename))
EOFError"

Now this doesn't really help me. Except that something is definitely
wrong. :-)

Thank you very much for your efforts, I really appreciate it!

Greetings
Alex