[Mailman-Users] How can I update 2.1.3 --> 2.1.5?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jun 6 00:41:37 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 17:31, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 6:45 PM +0100 2004/06/01, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:
>
> >  Ah, I see, so I upgrade by reinstalling. But that isn't clear from the
> >  documentation, because "as easy as" doesn't mean "is achieved by". So
> >  there's me thinking, "OK, so its easy, but how do I do it?".
>
> 	Fair enough.  We'll have to ask Barry to update the documentation
> to be more precise.

I've clarified that first paragraph in the UPGRADING file, although
because of SF CVS unavailability at the moment, I can't check in the
change.  Here's what it now reads:

    For the most part, upgrading Mailman entails installing the latest version
    over the existing version.  Usually, you can unpack the new release, run
    'configure' with the same options you used in your previous install, and
    then do a 'make install'.  However, there are some changes that may need
    to be taken care of manually.

Does that work for you?

> >  2. The file refers to
> >  <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2000-September/006826.html>.
> >  AFAICT that message is the wrong one. It doesn't relate to upgrading, and
> >  isn't from the person referenced, and its four years old.
>
> 	Documentation bug.  Barry?

I think the note there is a red herring now.  Newer versions do a better
job of migrating the template files from older versions, so I've simply
removed that sections from the file.

Cheers,
-Barry