[Mailman-Users] How can I update 2.1.3 --> 2.1.5?

Ian A B Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jun 2 13:43:29 CEST 2004

--On Wednesday, June 2, 2004 6:36 am +0900 Tokio Kikuchi
<tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> 1. The file says "BE SURE TO TURN OFF MAILMAN AS DESCRIBED ABOVE
>>    BEFORE YOU UPGRADE." - but that isn't described above. The closest I
>> could see was a recommendation to switch off my MTA. I want to avoid
>> that if the process is going to take more than a minute, so I'm hoping I
>> can just switch off mailmanctl, but I'm using EXIM, and I think it will
>> continue to queue messages...with the wrong queue format?
>
> SMTP is so designed that one MTA can stop for a day or more ;-)

True, but my users aren't designed to allow that. I have 15,000 people that
rely on that MTA to do their work all day. If I switch off the MTA for five
minutes, some will complain.

The upgrade notes say that the upgrade "could take a long time if you have
a lot of files in your qfiles subdirectories", but doesn't quantify that at
all. What is a long time? What constitutes a lot of files? An example would
be helpful, but actually I don't have a lot of messages at the moment.

>> the exim config calls "/local/mailman/mail/mailman post" with each
>> message addressed to a mailman list. Do I need to stop this happening
>> during the upgrade? If so, then I need to take down the mailer (or make
>> it temporarily reject or hold onto the messages while I do the upgrade).
>
> for 2.1.3 -> 2.1.5 upgrade, you can safely stop qrunners if you
> don't like to stop MTA.

So, the fact that messages will be queued in the old format during the
upgrade doesn't matter? Or, are they not queued in the old format?

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team