[Mailman-Users] Subject Line on Invite Messages

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jul 23 10:39:32 CEST 2004

At 11:46 PM -0400 2004-07-22, Toby Reiter wrote:

>  Thank you SO much. I wasn't expecting an answer so soon, AND one that
>  was so simple and effective.

	Yup.  Better than mine.  This one needs to go into the FAQ, too.

>                                My only question would be why this
>  isn't disabled by default?! The subject line is so much more to the
>  point, unambiguous, and user friendly.

	Also from the Defaults.py file:

# For nicer confirmation emails, use a VERP-like format which encodes the
# confirmation cookie in the reply address.  This lets us put a more user
# friendly Subject: on the message, but requires cooperation from the MTA.
# Format is like VERP_FORMAT above, but with the following substitutions:

	Specifically, note that part about needing support from the MTA.

	Not all MTAs support VERP by default, but now that Mailman 2.1.5
will automatically VERP all addresses used for bounce management
handled through the site-wide mailing list, maybe this should also be
turned on by default.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755