[Mailman-Users] Subject Line on Invite Messages

Toby Reiter toby at breezing.com
Fri Jul 23 05:03:18 CEST 2004

This has been asked here before, but is there any way to modify the
Subject of the invite message? "confirm
aad5624d316c46234928426cb4a6c57c691d0e7c" is a DEAD WRINGER for spam,
and is likely to be deleted by many of our users.  I don't want to be
a bad net citizen and automatically subscribe users to this list, but
the majority of the people who receive the invitation will want to
join (it's for health services trainings through a non-profit they've
already done trainings with, working with the CDC, etc.).  But I fear
many will miss out on this invitation for a list they really want to
be on, thinking the message is spam.  If the message had a welcome
text, like "An Invitation to Join the Foo List" I think people would
probably read it.

Just to preempt those who say to look in the archives - I already
have. I've looked through every message with the keyword invite and
found nothing. Ditto for invitations.  When I do a Google search, all
I find is a message telling me that this issue has already been
discussed, and it's in the archives.  It is possible that it is
somewhere in the browsable archives, and not the searchable archives.
But honestly, I'd rather not look back through years of archives to
find the message.

I'd greatly appreciate any info anyone can give me on this. If this
requires tweaking on my end, that's fine. I'll tweak, and when I'm
done, I'll post my results to the group.

Thanks in advance,
Toby Reiter

p.s. I'd like to apologize if I sound a little harsh above. It's the
end of a long day, and I find it very frustrating when people reply
to non-obvious questions with a "look in the archives" or search
Google responses.  I'm a member of several technical lists, and I'll
post responses to questions even if they've been addressed before, or
are clearly available in the manual. It doesn't really cause grief to
anyone to actually answer their question if you actually know the
answer. Obviously if people say "how do I install mailman" you may
want to point them towards the install guide instead of answering it
in the post, but if it's anything at all complicated, just answer.
Toby Reiter                          mailto:toby at breezing.com
Breezing Internet Communications     http://www.breezing.com
1106 West Main St                    phone:434.295.2050
Charlottesville, VA 22903            fax:603.843.6931