[Mailman-Users] Problem after bin/arch'ing

Ronny Raschkowan ronny at kopfrechnung.de
Thu Jul 22 02:59:07 CEST 2004

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Ronny Raschkowan wrote:
>

>>I needed do edit a message of an archive today, so i did the change, and
>>saved it. Later, i had to run the bin/arch script to regenerate the
>>archive of the list i had to edit a message. Thats what i did, providing
>>"bin/arch mylist [<mbox>].
>>

>It seems from what you say later that you used --wipe. In any case you
>should have.

Hm, i had to notice that :-(

>>Now, i have got a problem with that: The numeration of the mails got
>>changed. All links which pointed to a specific mail don't work anymore,
>>because it seems there -3633 after the arch'ing. Meaning: Mail 9659 got,
>>after i had arched, 6026. I can't figure out, what caused it, but i
>>still have the problem that the links are broken after this change. Is
>>there any possiblity to get the numeration like it was before? Or is it
>>possible to say the script, it has to start counting from Mail Number
>>3633, ( i mean giving the (first!) mail the number 3633, to get the old
>>order) ?
>>I am really desesperating on this problem - As far, -s and -e can't help
>>in this case.
>>

>I'm only guessing, but are there messages missing? it seems that the
>.mbox file was probably missing 3633 messages. Was the .mbox "started
>over" at some point? Is there an old .mbox file somewhere containing
>3633 messages?
>
>--
>Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,
>San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

I can't look, because the archive is very big, as  far, i can't remember
of all mails we became on it :)
I looked in the archives/private/ directory, cd'ed to to mylist.mbox
directory, but there was only the normal wikide-l.mbox.

This is really strange.. But I need the normal numeration back.

BTW: Is there an (official?) channel in IRC or somewhere where
siteadmins could chat together and help other site admins?

Sincerly yours,
Ronny