[Mailman-Users] Setting up list for the first time

Lindsay Teychenne lindsayt at armidaleit.com
Sat Jul 17 15:37:24 CEST 2004

I have started setting up mailing lists provided by a VPS hosting
service (using PLESK as a management tool). I have put this problem
to them and have not received a particularly useful set of responses
i.e after many support exchanges I still have the problem.

When I configure Mailman, everything appears to be Ok and accepts
changes I have made. One big problem, however, is that it doesn't
work.

I have been using macjordomo for some years now and I understand that
the philosophy is different but I have headed down a number of dead
ends (mainly to do with DNS) in trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Here are the symptoms, having subscribed people using mass subscription

1	if I post a message to the list (from a members email client)
ie list at domain.com, it appears to have been successful, I don't get
any bad address replies. But no-one on the list receives the message.

2	There are no archives in the list info, It states that no
postings have been received.

3	If someone subscribes using the listinfo page, they don't get
a subscription acknowledgement and they don't appear in the list of
subscribers under Membership list in Membership management at the
admin pages.

I am hoping this is an easily rectifiable problem. the helpdesk at
the VPS hosting service have been getting me to try to resolve some
DNS issues which i believe I have done and still get the same
problems. I have deleted lists and started new ones - all with the
same results.

Hope someone can help.

PS I tried to subscribe to List Owners from the Python page but the
links didn't work.

thanks

Lindsay