[Mailman-Users] defining topics

Jeff Barger jeff at look.net
Wed Jul 14 22:35:27 CEST 2004

On Jul 14, 2004, at 4:11 PM, Christopher Adams wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I guess I am a bit confused. From the previous
> message from Jim Tittsler, he says: "The regular expression should not
> be trying to match the
> headers, or "licensing" in your example." To me, that meant that if I
> specifed Keywords:Licensing as the regexp, I only had to include
> 'Licensing' to match.

I don't think it works that way, but I've been mistaken before. The way
I've always assumed it worked is if you'd put 'Licensed' as the regexp
and then in the body have 'Keywords: Licensed'.

> Also, what do you mean by enabling body checking? Are you talking
> about in the MTA?

No, I mean setting topic_bodylines_limit to a non-zero number (or a
negative number if you want to scan the whole body).

> When you do subject field matching, are you matching in the actual
> subject field, or are you using a Subject field in the body?  I guess
> you would have to do Body checks for that as well. The reason I am not
> doing Subject field checks is that there are over 20 topics and some
> want to send to half of those topics, which would make the Subject
> field a bit funky.

The actual Subject field and no body checks at all.

Typically I've been using it to differentiate discussion messages from
announcements so one list can be used for both. When someone subscribed
they can choose to get all the messages or just the announcements. I'd
think 20 topics on one list would be a little much and would split them
up into different lists.

-Jeff