[Mailman-Users] From: field question (listname vs listname-bounces)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jul 12 19:24:47 CEST 2004

Christopher Adams wrote:

>Some list owners have reported to me that the From: field in their
>client shows a list message as From: listname-bounces at wherever.com. In
>this case, the client is MS Outlook. I initially assumed that they
>didn't know what they were talking about since my mail client (Netscape
>Messenger) shows From: listname at wherever.com. However, I have
>experimented and now I see that using MS Outlook does show From:
>listname-bounces.
>
>The list owner has requested that the From: field show the listname only
>and not the listname-bounces. I know that I can configure the list so
>that messages appear from the sender's address, but I am wondering if
>there is something else that I should be looking at.

See the FAQ at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp

This is an MS Outlook/Outlook Express issue, not a Mailman issue. These
MUAs show the Envelope-From instead of or in addition to the From:
address. The Envelope-From must be the listname-bounces address for
bounce processing to work.

The actual From: header of the mail does not contain the -bounces
address. It is the MUA that shows additional or other info in its
rendition of From: