[Mailman-Users] Problem with JapaneseCodecs-1.4.10; unable to execute gcc: No suc h file or directory

Jim Tittsler jwt at OnJapan.net
Fri Jul 9 08:26:17 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:39:34AM +0200, Kraa de Simon wrote:
> I don't have gcc installed (and I cannot install gcc on this system).
>
> Is there a way I can work around this problem?

configure's '--without-gcc' switch doesn't set the compiler for
the setup.py steps.  You could just change into the
JapaneseCodecs and KoreanCodecs directories and do
CC=cc python setup.py build
in each (or modify the Makefile).  Then when the install step
comes the binaries would have already been built.

> I don't think I need JapaneseCodecs-1.4.10 or KoreanCodecs-2.0.5...

You *might* be able to just remove them from the PACKAGES
definition in misc/Makefile to build without them, but I've not
tried.  (I don't think they are customizeable from configure's
--without-PACKAGE switch.)

Jim

P.S.  One other note... if you aren't using Gnu make, you may
need to modify messages/Makefile.  Some implementations of make
don't understand the substitution referenences for LANGDIRS,
POFILES, and MOFILES.

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/