[Mailman-Users] Changing the host name for a list after its been created.

Jolin M Warren JolinWarren at OakandApple.org
Sat Jul 3 14:03:52 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have recently installed Mailman 2.1.5c2 and am trying to get a feel
for how to use it. So sorry in advance if this is a basic question! I
have searched the 'mailman-users' list archives but can't find
anything that answers my question.

When I created my first two lists (the 'mailman' site list and
another), I had the following settings in my 'mm_cfg.py'
configuration file (host names are examples only):

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'host1.mydom.ain'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'host1.mydom.ain'

However, I subsequently decided to change the host name to use for
the list (both host names point to the same IP address). So I changed
my 'mm_cfg.py' file to contain the following:

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'host2.mydom.ain'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'host2.mydom.ain'

Note that at this stage I also read the configuration instructions
more carefully and therefore included the 'add_virtualhost' command.
I have also gone to the list configuration pages for the first two
lists and changed the 'Host name this list prefers for email.' option
to point to 'host2.mydom.ain'.

Here's the problem: These first two lists still think that the list
server is 'host1.mydom.ain'. Both the link in the web page footers
and links listed in emails point to:
<http://host1.mydom.ain/mailman/...>. (The email addresses all
correctly use 'host2', though, including on the web page footers.)
This is the base URL given, for instance, in 'help' emails sent from
the listserver.

If I create a new list now, the new list correctly uses
'host2.mydom.ain' as the host name for all links (both web pages and
in emails).

My question is, how to I update the first two lists to use 'host2'?
If I grep all of the files in the mailman directory, the only ones
containing 'host1' are a couple of HTML pages and the 'config.pck'
and 'config.pck.last' files for the first two lists. I can't find any
setting to change.

Maybe the only way to update the host name is for me to delete the
first two lists and re-create them. If so, I have two questions:

1. Is there any problem with deleting the 'mailman' site-list while
'mailmanctl' is running?

2. If I export the settings (using 'config_list -o') and exporting
the users from each list I am deleting and then re-import the
settings and users after creating new lists, will I create exact
copies of the lists? Or are there some other settings that need to be
exported or set manually after re-creating the lists?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Jolin