[Mailman-Users] bounced messages and VERP ??

Yogesh Subhash Talekar yogesh at unipune.ernet.in
Thu Jul 1 14:45:02 CEST 2004

Sorry

I think I need a answer of a single question:
How do I make sure that Mailman is not VERPing mails? And if I find that
it is VERPing mails then how do I turn it OFF ??

Do I need to re-configure my list? What is the parameter in sitelist.cfg
file which I need to change for this??

TIA

--yogesh

> thanks
>
> But I haven't any change. I am running postfix as it was. I observed the
> thing when I fixed the problem with the ID and posted a test message.
>
> I wrote VERP because, I remember such a setting exists. But in fact I
> haven't changed anything.
>
> Is this happening because few message to that ID had bounced and mailman
> wants to be careful while sending mail to that ID so that in case it
> bounces it will be easy to find the recipient address and increase his
> bounce score ??
>
> --yogesh
>

>> On 1 Jul 2004, at 12:22, Yogesh Subhash Talekar wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I am using mailman with postfix.
>>> While testing mailman I created a list with two address. Both had same
>>> domain say "mydomain.com".
>>>
>>> When all was working fine, mailman/postfix used to copy a single mail
>>> both the users.
>>> I had a problem with one of the IDs and the mail destined to it bounced
>>> few times. Later I fixed it, but found that now mailman (or postfix)
>>> has
>>> started copying two separate mails to both the users?
>>>
>>> What has changed? Is this a problem ? I may add more than 3000 users
>>> from
>>> the same domain and I don't want each user to get a separate copy!
>>>

>> The subject line of your post implies that you may have turned on
>> Mailman's personalization to this list so that the return path is
>> VERP'ed by Maiilman.
>>
>> If that is the case then each subscriber will by definition be sent a
>> unique message by Mailman for each posting distributed.
>>
>> You would get a similar effect if, for instance, the MTA were
>> generating VERP'ed messages from a single original message passed to it
>> by Mailman but addressed to multiple addresses.
>>
>> Could this be why you are seeing what you are seeing?
>>
>>> Please help/advice??
>>>
>>> --yogesh
>>

> --yogi

> Searchable Archives:

--yogesh

One RAID to backup them all, one RAID to find them, one RAID to bring them
all and in the darkness bind them.