[Mailman-Users] Need help diagnosing bounce processing and logging problems

Dave Fisher mailman-users at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 16:04:51 CET 2004

Hi,

A few of my list members are failing to receive the occasional posting.
I'd really like to look at the individual bounce/error messages sent
back, to diagnose where the problem might lie.

The list is very small, so I'm not at all worried about being bombarded
with vast numbers of MAILER-DAEMON messages.

I thought of turning off bounce_processing, but when I went to do so I
found the admin page saying:

  "By setting this value to No, you disable all automatic bounce
   processing for this list, however bounce messages will still be
  discarded so that the list administrator isn't inundated with them"

That does _not_ sound like what I want, unless I've misunderstood the
type of message being referred to here.  Is it only referring to
Mailman's own bounce messages, i.e. not to list members' mail server
messages?

I want to see _all_ the delivery error messages that my members' mail
servers may be generating, but I haven't received a single such message
as the list administrator.

From what I can tell from the terse mailman bounce log, the automatic
bounce processing does seem to be successfully managing most problems,
so I don't want to turn it off unless that will help me get to the
information I need.

I can't find any relevant bounce messages in my MTA's (Exim) logs.

It's entirely probable that I can't find the relevant error messages,
because I've made a mistake somewhere in configuring Mailman and Exim to
work together, but I'm at a loss as to where to start fixing it.

From what I can see, Exim simply uses /etc/aliases lines to pipe all
admin messages to /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman on Debian, but I've no
idea what Mailman does with them after that.

Any help in understanding how error logging and bounce processing work
between the two apps would be gratefully received.

Dave