[Mailman-Users] 2 mailman instances with postfix

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 19:51:13 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 12:18, Mike Williams wrote:
> > I thought about using the same alias-File for all mailman
> > installations..., but I don't know how mailman checks if a list
> > allready exists or not. Is mailman only searching through the alias
> > file to check if a list allready exists or is a database used, where
> > the listnames and other things are stored. Is the alias file checked
> > first and would a new list only be created, if the name for a new list
> > isn't found in the alias file...
> >
> > I think I have to take a look in the mailman code :-(. Or do you have
> > anny hints?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Schoeppi
>
> Last time I looked at this, Mailman checked for the existence of a
> config file in the ~mailman/lists/<listname>/ directory.  If no
> config.db, config.pck, or config.bak existed in this directory then it
> created the <listname>.
>
> It did not check the aliases files.
>
> (Apologies to Jon Carnes. I meant to reply to the list)
> My understanding is that the MTA checks the alias file and sends the
> mesage to the appropriate Mailman install, according to the alias file.
> Here's my question: How do you install multiple instances of Mailman?
> I'm using SuSE Professional 8.1 with Mailman 2.0.13 and would like to
> install 2.1.4 concurrently.
>
> Mike Williams

When installing (from source), pick a different base installation and a
different user/group for the install to use. You do this by adding some
switches the  "./configure" command:

    --prefix=<dir>
          Standard GNU configure option which changes the base
          directory that Mailman is installed into.  By default
          $prefix is /usr/local/mailman.  This directory must
          already exist,

    --with-username=<username-or-uid>
          Specify a different username than `mailman' to use as a
          default.  Use this only if the username `mailman' is
          already in use by somebody (e.g. Mark Ailman's login
          name).  This switch can take an integer user id or a user
          name.  Be sure your $prefix directory is owned by this
          user.

    --with-groupname=<groupname-or-gid>
          Specify a different groupname than `mailman' to use as a
          default.  Use this only if the groupname `mailman' is
          already in use.  This switch can take an integer group id
          or a group name.  Be sure your $prefix directory is
          group-owned by this group.

Using this, you can install any number of Mailman instances on one
server; all using the same local web-server and the same local
mail-server.

You'll need to have separate settings inside your httpd.conf file for
each installation of mailman:

#  httpd configuration settings for use with mailman.
#

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/archives>
        Options +FollowSymlinks
</Directory>
#
#  httpd configuration settings for use with mailman2.
#

ScriptAlias /mailman2/ /usr/local/mailman2/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman2/archives/public/
<Directory /usr/local/mailman2/archives>
        Options +FollowSymlinks
</Directory>
#
# etc...