[Mailman-Users] 2 mailman instances with postfix

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 15:28:47 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 04:31, Christian Schoepplein wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to use 2 mailman installations with one postfix mta on a
> server? How do I have to configure postfix / mailman, that for example
> no problems ocure with equal listaliases in the 1. and 2. mailman
> installation. The tow mailman instances are using different domains, so
> maybe postfix can sort out somehow which alias should be used.
>
> Regards,
> Schoeppi

I have multiple installs on my test machine some that use sendmail and
others that use postfix, so it's no problem to have multiple Mailman
installs on a system all using the same MTA - at least technically.

You've nailed the administrative problem though... I don't think there
is a check to see if the alias already exists.  Now Postfix will give
you an error to alert you of the duplicate alias, but I don't think that
Mailman listens for that - so the duplicate alias would be added.

Of course Postfix would sort it out by using the first match in its hash
tables, so the mail would go to one of the installs. Still that isn't
much help.

You could simply write a script to look for duplicates between the two
sites and have that kicked off by the Create List routine - or add that
as an external script and send an alert to the administrators when there
is a collision. You could even have the script rename the newer alias.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes