[Mailman-Users] Sendmail and Mailman

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 05:14:26 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 23:04, T. Glen Haggard wrote:
> I have searched the archives and looked through the Mailman documentation
> but can not find how it is that the Sendmail and Mailman work together. What
> happens when a list is created, does Mailman create a user in Sendmail? Is
> there something I need to setup in Sendmail or Mailman to cause them to work
> together?
>

> I can create a list but when I send a message to the list I get an error
> message back telling me that the user is unknown. Can someone help me figure
> this one out?
>

> Glen

Well you really need to tell us more information, but I'm going to
assume that your using the latest version of Mailman, and that your
using Sendmail without any integration.

When you create a list via the command line, you get a nice print out of
the entries that need to be added to the file /etc/aliases.  Simply cut
and paste these into that file and then run the command "newaliases".

This makes Sendmail aware of the email list names and points those
emails right at the cgi's used by Mailman.

When you become more experienced you'll want to run Postfix as your MTA
instead of Sendmail, and then you'll setup the Postfix integration as is
outlined in the README.POSTFIX file that comes along with Mailman.
Using this integration means never having to manually add the aliases
again!

Good luck - Jon Carnes

BTW: This is in the archives and in the FAQ (FAQ 3.14 for example).