[Mailman-Users] 4 things: conjugation with usenet, archivisation by arriving date, statistics, and link to the archives in archivised posts.

Andrzej Kasperowicz andyk at spunge.org
Sun Jan 11 01:35:06 CET 2004

1.
Admin of my server moved some time ago one of my lists to Mailman, but
the other one he did not, because the other one is conjugated with a
usenet news group, and he said that he can't do that under mailman,
because in order to conjungate it in direction usenet -> list the list
would have to be open for everyone, or moderator would have to confirm
every post send from persons not subscribed to the list.
Is that true?
If yes, then... ok I understand the initial legitimate idea that if
usenet group is open to everyone then the list should be too, or both
should be moderated.
The problem is however, that to the mailing list address are coming
hundreds of spams *per day* (even though spamassassin is installed), so
it cannot be open. I could not also find silly enough moderator to
manually delete hundreds of spams daily.
The only solution is to allow private list to be conjugated with an open
usenet group.
I request to allow it in mailman *as soon as possible*.

2.
I think that there should be an option allowing to archive mails
according to date of reception of the posts by mailman, and not date set
by user who sends it. That would prevent dates from the future in the
archive: 2006, 2011, 2013, 2024 which you can see in this list (mailman-
users) archive:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/

3.
I also would wish to see in mailman statistics of posts sent by users,
i.e. how many post were sent from each e-mail address. There is such a
feature in ver. 6.0d of ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas. It would
be nice to have it in Mailman, too.

4.
I think that there should be present a link to the main archive web page
in every archivised message seen in archive, because at the moment there
is only link to the subscribtion page (information page), and possibility
to sort messages differently, but if I read it sorted by thread for
example, I cannot go back to the begining of the thread or to the main
archive web page by clicking on a link - there is no such a link,
unfortunatelly.

Regards
Andy