[Mailman-Users] Getting mailman running on RedHat 9

Jonathan Eidson jeidson at portageville.k12.mo.us
Wed Jan 7 06:43:21 CET 2004

I am trying to get mailman 2.1-8 running. I have done everything that the documentation that came with the RedHat 9 distro said to do. The final step is to type the following in the command line:

 /sbin/service mailman start

In response, I receive:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 524, in ?
    main()
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 319, in main
    check_privs()
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 274, in check_privs
    gid = grp.getgrnam(mm_cfg.MAILMAN_GROUP)[2]
KeyError: getgrnam(): name not found

I don't know what to do at this point. Here is a little more information. I have a RedHat 9 server running Postfix and Squirrelmail. It has been working beautifully since July, 2003. Now I need to get Mailman working and all will be complete.

Please Help. How should I proceed?

Jonathan