[Mailman-Users] Oh, the irony!

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 22:13:41 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 15:15, Robin Lynn Frank wrote:
> After installing 2.1.2 from a Mandrake RPM and getting help which overcame
> every problem but one.  The RPM inexplicably didn't address mailman's wanting
> GID no group and postfix insisting on GID mail.
>
> So after removing the RPM, getting the 2.1.4 tarball, discovering my python
> lacked something, compiling a new python, installing mailman and getting to
> the point where all the permissions are correct, I now find myself facing
> doing things with apache which the RPM would dealt with in seconds.
>
> So, does anyone know:
>
> 1) Where an apache2-specific howto config for mailman, exists?
>                 or
> 2) Is there a way to run mailman without the web interface?
>
> Either of the above will save me an awful lot of grief.

Mandrake already has the include file on your server - you may need to
modify the settings slightly to match where you installed your Mailman.
Look for it under the directory /etc/httpd/..

Here is a copy of the one I'm using on my current test system (which is
currently RH9)

===
#
#  httpd configuration settings for use with mailman.
#

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /var/mailman/archives>
        Options +FollowSymlinks
</Directory>

# Uncomment the following line, replacing www.example.com with your
server's
# name, to redirect queries to /mailman to the listinfo page
(recommended).