[Mailman-Users] Strange problem with one of my lists

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 20:04:32 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 11:26, Jeremy Mann wrote:
> This is a strange problem that I can't seem to figure out. This only
> occurs on one of my mailing lists, the others work perfectly. The list in
> question has 861 subscribers.
>
> I sent an email to the list, but nobody received it. However, the email I
> sent is shown in the List Archives. So I check my logs for further
> information.
>
> Mailman log post says:
> Jan 05 14:50:40 2004 (2445) post to ultrascan from
> demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu, size=2575,
> message-id=<200401052040.i05KeQU3002109 at biochem.uthscsa.edu>, success
>
> Mailman smtp post says:
> Jan 05 14:50:40 2004 (2445)
> <200401052040.i05KeQU3002109 at biochem.uthscsa.edu> smtp for 860 recips,
> completed in 214.625 seconds
>
> According to these Mailman did its job, but still nothing in the
> subscribers email. So I go one step further and check /var/log/maillog and
> discover this:
>
> Jan  5 14:50:40 biochem sm-mta[2757]: i05Kl5dv002757:
> from=<ultrascan-bounces at ultrascan.uthscsa.edu>, size=2575, class=-30,
> nrcpts=338, msgid=<200401052040.i05KeQU3002109 at biochem.uthscsa.edu>,
> proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=IDENT:1048 at localhost [127.0.0.1]
> Jan  5 14:50:40 biochem sm-mta[2757]: i05Kl5dv002757: discarded
>
> So sendmail is somehow discarding all these sends. What I can't understand
> is, the other 10-12 lists I have on the same machine work perfectly. This
> list is the only one that is doing this.
>
> Does anybody have some ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Indeed, a strange problem.

Have you upgraded recently and this is your first list created since the
update?  We've seen this scenario several times in folks who have
upgraded in the past and are just now adding new lists.

There are several things to check...
 - check to be sure your settings are correct and up-to-date in
mm_cfg.py, if you upgraded you'll need to add certain new settings that
are set by default in the older lists, but maybe set incorrectly in the
new list until the configuration is brought up-to-date.
 - check your relay rules for your MTA and make sure it accepts all mail
for relay that is sent to 127.0.0.1, especially mail from
ultrascan.uthscsa.edu

Good Luck - Jon Carnes