[Mailman-Users] Controlling the Sender / From / Reply-to address

Michael D Hansen mhansen4 at unl.edu
Sun Jan 4 23:39:30 CET 2004

I am a member of a state affiliate of a nation wide nonprofit organization
and we would like to be able to give our officers the ability to send
emails out to a list of individuals no mater what email account the
officer is using. Mail Man seems like the perfect solution for this, in
fact we have a individual in our national organization that is running a
Mail Man 2.0.13 server. Our only problem is that we want to be able to
completely control any and all sender / from / reply-to information.  We
want these messages to look like they are coming from our organizations
general email account so that when someone receives one of these messages
there is no confusion as to who it is from. Also if they reply to the
message, it doesn't go out to everyone on the list. or their message
doesn't get bounced back to them saying they are not able to post
messages.

I setup a test list on a Mail Man 2.0.13 server and after hard coding the
Reply-to address and setting the Hide Sender Privacy Option to yes
accomplished most of our goals. Configured like this when you viewed a
email from the list in a email application it appeared to be from "name of
the list". Is there a way to force this sender information to just be the
reply-to address or something else that I specify?

Even if this ability is only available in a newer version of mailman I can
use any information you give me to talk to the administrator of our
mailman 2.0.13 server and ask him to upgrade.

Also / or  is there anybody out there running a mailman 2.1.x server that
would allow me to setup a test list so that I could try this out on a more
recent version of mail man?

Thanks
Mike
---