[Mailman-Users] Using postfix-to-mailman-2.1

Ross McKillop mtastuff at iross.net
Sat Jan 3 22:09:16 CET 2004

Hi All,

I'm having a small problem getting mailman to work with my postfix
setup, the easiest method I've found is postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py (from
http://www.gurulabs.com/files/postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py) but not having
much success with it... hoping someone on this list can shed a little
light on it...

Postfix is running with MailScanner so I have /etc/postfix and
/etc/postfix.in (the incoming MTA)

Configuration is as follows;

/etc/postfix.in/main.cf
	transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix.in/transport
	relay_domains = $mydestination lists.kleechie.net
	unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450

	######## SQL BITS ##########
	virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
	virtual_gid_maps = static:89
	virtual_mailbox_base = /var/virtualmail
	virtual_mailbox_domains =
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
	virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
	virtual_mailbox_limit = 51200000
	virtual_minimum_uid = 89
	virtual_transport = virtual
	virtual_uid_maps = static:89
	#########################

/etc/postfix.in/master.cf
	mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
	  flags=FR user=mailman:mailman
	  argv=/usr/local/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py ${nexthop} ${user}

/etc/postfix.in/transports
	lists.kleechie.net      mailman:

The postfix stuff that specifies the transport seems to be working
correctly as every mail to @lists.kleechie.net bounces with;

	<test at lists.kleechie.net>: Command died with status 1:
"/usr/local/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py"

The message is /var/log/maillog is;

	Jan  3 20:53:03 kleechie postfix/pipe[27313]: 4D5573AD2D:
to=<test at lists.kleechie.net>,
	relay=mailman, delay=1, status=bounced (Command died with status 1:
"/usr/local/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py")

Permissions on /usr/local/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py seems ok;
	-rwxr-xr-x    1 mailman  mailman      2535 Jan  3 20:54
postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py

Also tried running it as mailman (albeit with missing environment
variables);
	[root at kleechie mailman]# su mailman -s postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py VAR1
VAR2
	TO ACCESS THE MAILING LIST SYSTEM: Start your web browser on
	http://VAR1/
	That web page will help you subscribe or unsubscribe, and will
	give you directions on how to post to each mailing list.

So it seems that mailman has permission to execute that file and
there's no obvious error with it.

Anyone got any ideas what's causing the command to "die with status 1"?

Thanks in Advance, and sorry for such a long question to be my first to
this list... I'm an experienced postfix user (ish) but this is the
first time I've tried to get it running under Postfix.

Ross

dangerous content and is believed to be clean