[Mailman-Users] Re: cgi-GID error?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jan 3 02:23:21 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 19:32, Tim Perdue wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to get a mailman install to work on SUSE Pro 9 with
> their weird apache 2.0.48 setup. Apache runs as wwwrun:www, or is
> supposed to.
>
> I properly compiled mailman with cgi-gid=8 (www) and the list WWW
> interface works 90% right. On some pages, perhaps only when POSTing
> information, I get an error about "Premature end of script headers".
>
> As a test, I recompiled and reinstalled mailman with cgi-gid=0, to see
> what error I got. Nothing ran at all, and got this:
>
> "Mailman CGI error!!!
> This entry is being stored in your syslog:
>
> Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 0, GOT gid 8.  (Reconfigure to take 8?)"
>
> So it appears that compiling for cgi-gid=8 is the right thing to do, but
> I am still getting that occasional "Premature end of script headers"
> when doing POSTs to the www interface of mailman.
>
> Any ideas?

cgi-gid==8 is the correct setting, and I'm not sure that the error
you're getting is related to the process gid.  That only gets you past
the front door so to speak.  If Mailman's cgi driver (scripts/driver) is
getting invoked at all, it will try really hard to log any exceptions to
/usr/local/mailman/logs/error.  If you don't see anything there, check
your Apache error_log.  If none of those provide any clues, it'll be
roll-up-the-sleeves time.

You might also want to toggle the variable STEALTH_MODE in
scripts/driver.  If Mailman's crashing, you'll get more information
spewed to your browser.  See the comments in that file for why it's
disabled by default.

-Barry