[Mailman-Users] mailman does not send E-mails

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 16:42:05 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 09:36, Thorsten Brabetz wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> Ok, new to the list, and probably not a good start, since
> it turns out that I am too stupid to search the list
> archives. If I go to the page

> and click on "searchable archives", I get a "time-out"
> error...
>
> So, I am probably asking a question that has been asked
> probably at least a hundred times in the past, and my
> apologies in advance, but I still need an answer somehow:
>
> I tried to install mailman, and for all I can tell
> successfully since I did not get any error messages at any
> stage, but it still does not work. Unfortunately, there are
> only very few hints as to what the problem might be.
>
> The best one is probably in mailman/logs/errors, where
> everytime I execute "./mailmanctl restart" it says:
>
> Feb 26 14:00:39 2004 (24372) Warning: unable to
> setgroups([101, 101])
>
> Assuming it refers to the $prefix directory, I can't
> however see why:
>
> redwolf:/usr/local# ll | grep mailman
> drwxrwsr-x   20 mailman     mailman      1024 Feb 25 14:44
> mailman
>
> Running mailman/bin/check_perms shows no problems either:
>
> redwolf:/usr/local/mailman# bin/check_perms
> No problems found
>
> Other log entries that seem to refer to the problem are in
> mailman/logs/smtp-failure:
>
> Feb 26 14:15:45 2004 (24376) Low level smtp error: host not
> found, msgid: None
> Feb 26 14:15:45 2004 (24376) delivery to mailman-owner (at)
> redwolf.org.uk failed with code -1: host not found
> Feb 26 14:15:45 2004 (24376) Low level smtp error: host not
> found, msgid: <mailman.0.1077753904.16057.test7 (at)
> redwolf.org.uk>
> Feb 26 14:15:45 2004 (24376) delivery to webmaster (at)
> brabetz.de failed with code -1: host not found
> Feb 26 14:15:45 2004 (24376) Low level smtp error: host not
> found, msgid: <mailman.0.1077755635.15842.mailman (at)
> redwolf.org.uk>
> Feb 26 14:15:45 2004 (24376) delivery to webmaster (at)
> brabetz.de failed with code -1: host not found
>
> (there are literally thousands of these entries, they are
> referring to test messages that I have sent to test lists)
>
> However, if I "su mailman", I can mail no problems to any
> E-mail account locally or remote, including those that the
> error messages refer to, e.g. webmaster (at) brabetz.de,
> and I have tried quite a few. MTA is exim (in the log entry
> above, I have replaced the @ with (at) to make it at least
> a tiny bit harder for spammers to harvest my E-mail
> address).
>
> Install is on a Debian system, but I did not use apt-get,
> but instead downloaded the source code and used
> "./configure ; make install". Mailman user is mailman,
> mailman group is mailman. mailman is a member of group
> mailman, and only the group mailman.
>
> I have been through all FAQs and README files I could find
> for two days now, without finding even as much as a hint to
> [...]

Sounds like you've done a great job of troubleshooting so far,
so I'm sure you've looked here (or soon will):

FAQ 3.14 covers a lot of ground in getting folks up and running, but it
sounds like you've got a few problems that may not be covered in there.

What in particular are your settings in ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py (or
Defaults.py) for the "Delivery Defaults":
  DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
  MTA = 'Manual'
  SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
  SMTPPORT = 0               # default from smtplib
  SENDMAIL_CMD = '/usr/lib/sendmail'

You might need to specify SMTPPORT = 25 or play with the SENDMAIL_CMD
setting.

Also, is the mailman group number 101 on your system?  If so, you may
have problems with using SetGID on this system.

I'm not a regular Debian or Exim user so I can't give you any specifics,
but I would look at those two areas, based on the errors you are
getting.

Hope that is helpful - Jon Carnes