[Mailman-Users] Funny little problem...

Chris DiBona chris at dibona.com
Fri Feb 20 16:04:07 CET 2004

Here's a funny bounce problem we're having, one we fixed by disabling
bounce protection, which is non-optimal, of course.

Spammer pathetically sends email to one of our 540 or so closed lists.
list admin at client gets notice that spam/virus is waiting for judgement.
Antivirus software at client go bling, and bounces the mail.
Mailman, logically, says "that mailbox isn't accepting mail, lets suspend
then unsubscribe that user"

So that's my funny change of event. Our choices were, of course:

Cut a hole in the virus scanner 'user's mail people: not gonna happen.'
Hack up Mailman/Bouncers/*
Shut off bounce detection.

What could we have done differently. I figured there might be some
combination of score and expiration, but the problem needed to be fixed
absolutely.

Thoughts, and thanks!

 Chris DiBona