[Mailman-Users] cpu usage

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 15 02:34:07 CET 2004

There are a lot of items that can cause this.
 - Using "top" look at the qrunners process ID's and see which ones are
eating the most cpu time.
 - Now use "ps aux" on a *wide* terminal so you can see which qrunner is
associated with the high cpu process ID

Each of the qrunners is launched with its specific job:
   qrunner --runner=CommandRunner:0:1 -s
   qrunner --runner=IncomingRunner:0:1 -s
   qrunner --runner=NewsRunner:0:1 -s
   qrunner --runner=OutgoingRunner:0:1 -s
   qrunner --runner=VirginRunner:0:1 -s

What is your Qrunner_Sleep_Time set to in ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py (or
Defaults.py)? The default of 1 normally works well.

  QRUNNER_SLEEP_TIME = seconds(1)

Are you getting any errors in any of your log files when Mailman is
crunching on the mails? Once the mails are crunched and processed, do
the qrunner processes stay high, or drop down again?

If I can get enough data points on this problem I'll try to write up an
FAQ to cover it and the various places to explore.

Jon Carnes