[Mailman-Users] Changing the default archive pages

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 17:32:04 CET 2004

On 12 Feb 2004, at 16:06, Rodriguez Gomez Pedro wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to say that I also tried to put the files in
> "$prefix/archives/private/test" and it didn't work either.
>
> Pedro Rodriguez Gomez

For performance reasons the templates are cached by the various
qrunners while they are running. As a consquence you need to use
mailmanctl restart after changing templates so that the qrunners will
pick up the new versions from disk and incorporate them in to into
their caches.

The following information quoted from $prefix/Mailman/Uils.py may be of
use to you:

<quote>
     # When looking for a template in a specific language, there are 4
places
     # that are searched, in this order:
     #
     # 1. the list-specific language directory
     #    lists/<listname>/<language>
     #
     # 2. the domain-specific language directory
     #    templates/<list.host_name>/<language>
     #
     # 3. the site-wide language directory
     #    templates/site/<language>
     #
     # 4. the global default language directory
     #    templates/<language>
     #
     # The first match found stops the search.  In this way, you can
specialize
     # templates at the desired level, or, if you use only the default
     # templates, you don't need to change anything.  You should never
modify
     # files in the templates/<language> subdirectory, since Mailman will
     # overwrite these when you upgrade.  That's what the templates/site
     # language directories are for.
     #
     # A further complication is that the language to search for is
determined
     # by both the `lang' and `mlist' arguments.  The search order there
is
     # that if lang is given, then the 4 locations above are searched,
     # substituting lang for <language>.  If no match is found, and
mlist is
     # given, then the 4 locations are searched using the list's
preferred
     # language.  After that, the server default language is used for
     # <language>.  If that still doesn't yield a template, then the
standard
     # distribution's English language template is used as an ultimate
     # fallback.  If that's missing you've got big problems. ;)
     #
</quote>

Note that you should not make changes to templates in the
$prefix/Mailman/templates directory  as those changes will be lost when
you next upgrade Mailman; put your changed templates under
$prefix/templates/site/ if, for instance, you want them to apply to all
lists on your server in place of the defaults.