[Mailman-Users] cascaded lists -- any tips?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 17:22:35 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 09:27, martin f krafft wrote:
> I administer a set of cascaded lists, or umbrella lists, however you
> want to call them. The setup is something along the following lines:
>
> A -> B, C, users
> B -> D, E, F
> C -> users
> D -> users
> E -> users
> F -> G, H, users
> G -> users
> H -> users
>
> Even though I configured the umbrella_list settings accordingly,
> this setup is quite painful when it comes to moderation. I have
> things like require_explicit_destination with the appropriate
> acceptable_aliases turned on as well as maximum size protection and
> other content filter rules.
>
> This works okay until someone posts a message to A, which is to be
> moderated. I accept the message for A, and then am asked to do the
> same for B and C, then for D, E, F and then for G, H. Thus, I have
> to visit the moderation interface 8 times for a single message.
>
> I have already considered making A and F pure umbrella lists and
> then to take all restrictions off the umbrella lists, so as to have
> moderation only apply to the leaf lists, but in the case of a post
> to A, I'd still have to accept a message 7 times.
>
> Is there no way to tell a child list to pass a message through when
> it has been accepted in a parent list?
>
> I'd be interested how other people deal with this problem. I guess
> I could forget the hierarchy and simply use a database to do the
> management of list memberships for each member, but i'd be
> sacrificing some of the features (e.g. single archive for a group).
>
> How can I deal with this problem?
>
> Thanks,

With some moderate recoding, you could get this to work. Basically you
would change the code so that accepting a message setup a key that was
good for some time period.  Then any moderation for a list would look
for a key that basically allowed the message to pass.  In that way you
would approve the message once and then it would pass through all
subsequent lists.

Someone else did something quite similar awhile back with 2.0.x but the
details are lost in the fog of time.  Still it might be worth an archive
search.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes