[Mailman-Users] HTML in list descriptions

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 16:16:27 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 02:59, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com>:
>
> > I explained this exact problem/resolution to someone else last week. I
> > looks like during an upgrade, the upgrade parses the listinfo html and
> > modifies the non-standard html statements.  It's made the following
> > modifications (which are easily reversed):
> >   "<" == "&lt;"
> >   ">" == "&gt;"
>
> Nope. Even If I manually enter HTML tags into a new list (which has
> NOT been converted) I get the &lt; &gt; instead of < >.

Yes. You chopped the context off, but we were talking about the
meta-code used in programing the Listinfo web page.

HTML tags are no longer allowed in the List Description field of the web
admin interface.  But that is a story for another day.

Hmmm... that really is a bug.  The description field should either tell
you that only text can be entered here, or the Mailman utility
~mailman/Mailman/HTMLFormatter.py needs to be re-written to leave the
mm-list-info HTML tags alone.

The fix/workaround for now is to edit the listinfo page:
  Mailman Web-admin for the list
   Browse to: Edit the public HTML pages
    Browse to: General list information page
      - now find the meta-tag: <MM-List-Info>
      - delete this meta-tag and replace it directly with
        your HTML text for list description
      - click on "Submit Changes"

That will put the HTML-ized list description directly into the web-based
Listinfo page for your list.

Since you have removed the meta-tag <MM-List-Info> the web-based
Listinfo information will now be independent of whatever text you put
into the detailed list description on the General page of the web-admin.

Hope that is more helpful!

Jon Carnes