[Mailman-Users] fetchmailrc and Mailman

Tom Caudron caudron at digitalelite.com
Sun Feb 8 22:20:42 CET 2004

I'm trying to administer several small mailing lists on my home server.
I have a domain mx server hosted elsewhere and I want to grab the mail
from the list accounts, and forward them to the approriate list members.

On the home server, I've got postfix for smtp (thanks to Simon White for
that!  It was much easier to work with postfix/mailman than
qmail/mailman), mailman for the lists, and fetchmail to poll the remote
accounts.

Postfix and Mailman seem to be talking nicely.  If a member is added, he
gets a message, etc....  However, I'm confused as to how to get
fetchmail to work with mailman.

Fetchmail insists that I have a /etc/fetchmailrc file.  In that file, I
have this:

----
# wake fetchmail daemon up every 60 seconds
set daemon 60

# mailinglist1 mailing list
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3
        username mailinglist1uid with         #list address
        password secretword, is mailman here;
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3         #list request address
        username mailinglist1requestuid with
        password secretword, is mailman here;
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3         #list admin address
        username mailinglist1adminuid with
        password secretword, is mailman here;

# mailinglist2 mailing list
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3
        username mailinglist2uid with         #list address
        password secretword, is mailman here;
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3         #list request address
        username mailinglist2requestuid with
        password secretword, is mailman here;
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3         #list admin address
        username mailinglist2adminuid with
        password secretword, is mailman here;

# mailinglist3 mailing list
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3
        username mailinglist3uid with         #list address
        password secretword, is mailman here;
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3         #list request address
        username mailinglist3requestuid with
        password secretword, is mailman here;
poll pop.MyMXDomain.com protocol pop3         #list admin address
        username mailinglist3adminuid with
        password secretword, is mailman here;
----

When I sent a mail from a member's email account to one of the lists he
is one, it never makes it to the list.  I can see that fetchmail has
grabbed it and given it to mailman, though, because looking in
/usr/local/mailman/logs/vette shows me an error every time I send a
message to the list to the effect of this:

Feb 08 15:28:32 2004 (1071) Mailman post from MyAddress at MyDomain.com held, message-id=<1076272100.1694.34.camel at LocalHost.LocalDomain>: Post by non-member to a members-only list

Rechecking things, I have verified that the address in quesiton is a
member of the list.  Any idea why it would treat a member as a
non-member under the setup I've described?

Secondly, as this if the first time I've done this, it would be nice to
get some feedback on the fetchmailrc file I detailed above.  Is this
what it's supposed to look like when I have multiple lists running on
this box?  Do I need the create a new user for each list or will the "is
mailman here" be interpreted and handled by mailman properly?

Being a complete newbie wrt mailinglists, any help at all will be most
appreciated.

Thanks!

-Tom Caudron