[Mailman-Users] ~ Can't make everyone happy

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Fri Feb 6 21:41:10 CET 2004

On Feb 6, 2004, at 12:18 PM, Paul H Byerly wrote:
>      Actually that is the exact answer that *I* want to hear.  Thing
> is, it's a moving target - what was true two years ago may be wrong
> now, so history and experience are not as important as knowing what
> real users are doing today.  This is the case for all aspects of the
> software.

It sure is. Historically, coercing reply--to was the default, back when
modems we slow, users were technical and dinosaurs (like me) wandered
the earth. And over time, it's become increasingly the case where
people realize it's not the appropriate thing, unless (1) you're trying
to drive revenue through usage of the list and/or web pages like yahoo,
or (2) you have some overriding need for group comment, like a private,
beta-seed mail list where the list is tracking issues.

> want.  My only concern is the volume of e-mail to THIS LIST from those
> who are clueless or lost.  The better the program fits the
> expectations of users, the less we hear about it here.

The better we fix misplaced expectations, you should mean. If the
expectations are wrong, changing the software to match expectations
doesn't solve the problem.