[Mailman-Users] QMail, Gentoo, and Mailman?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 16:54:09 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 10:24, Tom and Denise Caudron wrote:
> Simon White said, "You need fetchmail. It will go to a POP mailbox, get
> the mail, rewrite addresses as needed, and forward it to your local SMTP
> server which will have aliases for Mailman."
>
> Thanks.  That's just what I was hoping to hear.  Can anyone point me to
> any docs that talk about that process at all?  I'm sure it's relatively
> simple, but after all the conf files I've stared at this morning, I'm
> starting to get a bad case of Jumbled-Brain and I'd like a nice how-to.
> :-)
>
> Simon White said, "I don't know qmail, can't help you here. I could
> flippantly say emerge postfix instead, but that's not helping you any."
>
> You'd be surprised.  I'm unmerging qmail and I'll be emerging postfix.
> You aren't the only one to say that postfix is far easier to use with
> mailman and while I like qmail, i ain't married to it.
>
> Like above, if anyone knows of a good how-to for setting up postfix with
> mailman, please feel free to pass it along.  :-)
>
> -Tom Caudron

Two cheers for *you* mate!  Simon's advice is right on.  You'll find
Postfix integrates nicely with Mailman.

In the Mailman docs you should find safely nestled away a README.POSTFIX
file.  Read it.  Everything you need to know to get Postfix working with
Mailman is in that doc.

As for Fetchmail, who could do better than *the man* himself... Eric
Raymond:
  http://catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/

Good Luck - Jon Carnes