[Mailman-Users] Reply to list

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Feb 5 21:09:01 CET 2004

At 12:27 PM -0600 2004/02/05, Paul H Byerly wrote:

>  Times have changed - lists are not long used only by folks who
>  know how to build a computer from scratch and program it themselves.

	Indeed, therein lies the problem.  The kinds of silly problems
that lead to the original page were things that happened years ago,
back when most people had some sort of clue as to what they were
doing.  The situation has only gotten worse since then, not better.

>  A lot of user have been conditioned to hit "reply" without thinking.

	Without thinking.  That's the real problem.

>  Additionally, a lot of folks don't want a private copy plus one to
>  the list - and done as the author suggests there is no quick and
>  easy way to send to the list only.

	Related to what you reference below, if you want to reply to just
the list, all you have to do is hit "reply-all", and then delete the
addresses you don't want.  That's even simpler than "cut-n-paste",
because there's no "paste" part to that operation.

	Once information is destroyed, it is virtually impossible to
recover.  At best, it takes a lot more effort.  It's a lot easier to
ask someone to add the name of the mailing list as an additional
recipient, if they should mistakenly send their reply privately.
However, once information has been made public, it's impossible to
make it private again.

>                                      Then there was this:
>
>  "Look at the original message header, write down the sender's
>  email address, hit the "r" key, call up the header editing menu,
>  erase the current To: value, and type in the sender's full email
>  address.  And pray the correct address wasn't wiped out when the
>  Reply-To was munged."
>
>       Has this fellow never heard of cut and paste?

	This fellow has experience with software that doesn't work the
way you think.  You'd be surprised how many people have software you
didn't know about, or that works differently than you think.

>                                                      I've never
>  had a problem adding the author as a cc, or sending to the author
>  rather than the list.  Yes it's a bit more work, but as it's the
>  exception rather than the rule for me it's not a problem.

	That's adding information.  That's not trying to re-create
information that has been destroyed by the mailing list.

>       Bottom line, I can understand that there was a time when
>  that is the case anymore.

	I disagree.  I've been doing this sort of stuff for fifteen
years, and I've been using e-mail and the Internet for twenty.

	IMO, this sort of thing is needed now, more than ever.