[Mailman-Users] Reply to list

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Feb 5 17:54:53 CET 2004

On Feb 5, 2004, at 4:01 AM, John Buttery wrote:

>   If the whole concept of information being irretrievably destroyed by
> clobbering Reply-To: willy-nilly isn't a compelling reason to you, I'm
> not sure what else to say.

This issue goes away if we could stop trying to use reply-to for too
many things. What we're really trying to do is make a bi-state
operation tri-state, and bad things happen.

What reply-to coercion is trying to do is fake "reply to list". That,
in reality, is its own operation. Mail clients ought to support
reply/reply-all/reply-to-list (but with one or two exceptions, don't).

And to properly support reply-to-list, you need that information in the
headers, which is done by the list-* headers mailman now provides.
Which is why we grimace everyone says "icky! delete!" because that's
how we'll ultimately get mail client authors to fix this right.....