[Mailman-Users] Max OS X & postfix 1 problems

Thomas Spellman thosgroups at thosmos.com
Wed Feb 4 04:00:16 CET 2004

I've followed the directions for setting up mailman 2.1.4 with postfix
1.1.12 on Mac OS X client 10.2 from the README.POSTFIX file.

When I add a new list via the cgi interface, the mailman aliases file is
updated, but I get the following error:

Bug in Mailman version 2.1.4
We're sorry, we hit a bug!
If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy
of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
happened. Thanks!

Traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
    main()
  File "/Users/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 55, in main
    process_request(doc, cgidata)
  File "/Users/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 226, in process_request
    sys.modules[modname].create(mlist, cgi=1)
  File "/Users/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 234, in create
    _update_maps()
  File "/Users/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 54, in _update_maps
    raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /sw/sbin/postalias /Users/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

Wen I run postalias from the command line as the mailman user, I get
this error:

su-2.05a$ pwd
/Users/mailman/data
su-2.05a$ postalias aliases
postalias: fatal: unsupported map type: db

It seems to work if I do:
su-2.05a$ postalias hash:aliases
su-2.05a$

But if I edit the file,  /Users/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py, and add the hash: to the postalias command, like the following, it doesn't solve the problem:

def _update_maps():
    msg = 'command failed: %s (status: %s, %s)'
    acmd = mm_cfg.POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD + ' hash:' + ALIASFILE
#    acmd = mm_cfg.POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD + ' ' + ALIASFILE
    status = (os.system(acmd) >> 8) & 0xff
    if status:
        errstr = os.strerror(status)
        syslog('error', msg, acmd, status, errstr)
        raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
    if os.path.exists(VIRTFILE):
        vcmd = mm_cfg.POSTFIX_MAP_CMD + ' hash:' + VIRTFILE
#        vcmd = mm_cfg.POSTFIX_MAP_CMD + ' ' + VIRTFILE
        status = (os.system(vcmd) >> 8) & 0xff
        if status:
            errstr = os.strerror(status)
            syslog('error', msg, vcmd, status, errstr)
            raise RuntimeError, msg % (vcmd, status, errstr)

What am I doing wrong?  I compiled mailman with --with-cgi-gid=www (the user apache runs as) and --with-mail-gid=daemon