[Mailman-Users] Mailman not interpreting FQDN properly?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Dec 21 20:10:26 CET 2004

Igor Gueths wrote:

>Hi all. I've gotten considerably further in my figuring out why I never
>get any notification messages from Mailman (that would explain why I
>never got anything back from my testlist (s). I did come upon something
>that might give me a hint however. I went to
>http://lava-net.com/mailman/create, and filled in all the fields as
>requested in the list creation form. On the resulting page, I then
>noticed this: Error: Unknown virtual host: lava-net.com
>
>In mm_cfg.py, I have defined DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lava-net.com'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.lava-net.com'
>I also added add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST) below
>my changes, and that didn't have any effect either. I really didn't see
>why I would have to add in add_virtual_host, since I'm not doing virtual
>domain hosting. Does anyone know how I can get it so Mailman will
>actually believe lava-net.com to be the FQDN?

With the above values for DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST you
should be going to http://www.lava-net.com/mailman/create to create a
list. If you really want your web host to be 'lava-net.com' then
that's what you should have in mm_cfg.py for both DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
and DEFAULT_URL_HOST.

Once you make this change, you need to run fix_url to fix the list.

>One thing I forgot to
>mention earlier...In Defaults.py, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST was set to Shadwiga
>(that's the local hostname of this box). And I believe that DEFAULT_URL
>was set to the local hostname as well. Is Mailman actually trying to
>virtualize lava-net.com to the hostname or some dirivitive? This is all
>occuring on Mailman-2.1.5. Thanks!

When the values in Defaults.py for DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
DEFAULT_URL_HOST are wrong, it is a good idea to clear the
VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary in mm_cfg.py since the wrong values were
added in Defaults.py and won't be removed unless you explicitly do so
in mm_cfg.py. This is not absolutely necessary if those original
defaults don't have the same value for DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST as one of
the new ones, but it is a good idea.

See the FAQ

Article 4.29 for more detail on this.