[Mailman-Users] Error: mailmanctl -s -q start

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Dec 14 18:44:31 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 21:14, Roger Tsang wrote:
> I'm running mm-2.1.5 install from source with Python-2.3.3 on Fedora Core
> (kernel-2.4) and getting the following error when starting mailman from the
> provided init.d script.
>
> # service mailman start
> and it runs mailmanctl -s -q start
>
> I keep on getting the same error messages.  Mailman is installed on a ext3
> partition.  What does the trace mean?  Bad filesystem?  Anybody seen it?

I assume you're not running FC3 since that is a 2.6 kernel and hence
you're not running afoul of SELinux security. It's a little hard to tell
from the traceback what is failing but a reasonable assumption is you've
got configuration problems or possibly permission related to the lock
file and/or directory. Did you run bin/check_perms to verify your
installation?

In general, if at all possible, one should install the packages provided
by distributions rather than building from source, that eliminates many
common pitfalls and headaches (especially those related to system
services) because the distribution has already sorted these issues out
and crafted an installation tailored to the distribution.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>