[Mailman-Users] Need some help decoding this error code

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Dec 13 13:18:45 CET 2004

At 3:59 AM -0800 2004-12-13, DJ Freak wrote:

>  I have done the ./configure, make, and make install routine every time
>  and still the machine says it's at Python 2.2.  What am I missing here?

	I'm not aware of any GUI installer for Python, but make sure that
your paths are correct, and that you're picking up the right version.
How you do this will depend on what shell you're running, but you
need to know where the various versions are installed, and which
order they are found in your path.

	For example, /usr/bin/python might be version 2.2, but
/usr/local/bin/python might be version 2.3.4.

	It may also be that the new version is installed in the correct
place, and you simply haven't told your shell to update its concept
of what binaries are installed where.  A simple "rehash" command may
be required to pick up the more recent version.  Or closing that
window and opening a new one may do the trick.  Or maybe logging out
and logging back in again.  There are many different ways to skin
this cat, depending on the precise nature of the problem.

	But path issues, picking up the right version, etc... is getting
more into standard Unix commands and familiarity with your shell, and
are not problems with Mailman per se.

	In this case, I'd recommend the books "MacOS X: The Missing
Manual, Panther Edition" (see
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxmmpanther/>) and "Learning Unix
for MacOS X Panther" (see
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lunixpanther/>).

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755