[Mailman-Users] 7th Circle of Burning, Hot, Fire Filled HELL!

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Dec 11 01:03:17 CET 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 01:15:03 -0800
Evan Miller wrote:

> Someone in this world please please tell me how to get Postfix,
> mailman, and virtual alias maps to all work together PLEASE.  This is
> not a Postfix issue.  Postfix works fine.  This is an integrating of
> Mailman issue.
>
> Here are my files.  I'm going to sleep now.  I've been at this for 12
> hours not counting the six days I spent getting Postfix to work.  If
> any of you have any mercy in your souls you will help me figure out
why
> /etc/postfix/virtual will not release its iron-clad grip on my
incoming
> mail and allow ~mailman/data/aliases to do its job and route my
> postings to their lists.  The lists themselves are fine.
>
> I have integrated all of the advice that you all have given me today
> much of which is not in the instructions and I have followed the
ReadMe
> as well.

Hi Evan,

You've got the same toolset as I do.  Maybe I can offer some tips.

Note:  I'm something of a rookie myself.  I got mailman up/running about
8 months ago and have 3 mailing lists with small subscriber
counts(around 500 for all 3) and low traffic volumes.  The info below is
how _I_ have it working and may not be the best way to do it.

1)  In /etc/postfix/main.cf there are two mailman related lines:

virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,
               hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
           hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

As you can guess, my main mailman directory is /var/lib/mailman (which
is where Mandrake puts things).  Your location may be different.

The data/* files are maintained by mailman itself.

2)  /etc/postfix/master.cf doesn't reference mailman at all.

3) /etc/mailman is the mail man configuration file. On my system there
is a symlink from/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py to it. It has
several site specific lines at the end of the file:

# Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.

#VERP_FORMAT='%(bounces)s+%(mailbox)s=%(host)s'
@.*$'

VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes

VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

#VERP_CONFIRM_FORMAT='%(addr)s+%(cookie)s'

#VERP_CONFIRM_REGEXP=r'^(?P<addr>[^+]+?)\+(?P<cookie>[^@]+)@.*$'
VERP_CONFIRMATIONS=Yes

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.example.com'
MTA = 'Postfix'

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST ]

There are a few extra commented lines in the above.  Offhand I don't
recall whether they show mailman default values or alternate setting
 that I could use but don't.

HTH,

David