[Mailman-Users] Re: Poster not receiving his own posts

Anthony Chavez acc at anthonychavez.org
Fri Dec 10 23:53:54 CET 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:14:17 -0800 Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> Anthony Chavez wrote:
>>
>>I have a list subscriber who is not receiving his own posts.
>>
>>His configuration matches my own (and that of most other subscribers)
>>one-to-one and I for one am receiving copies of my own posts.  We have
>>subscribed and re-subscribed him multiple times, to no avail.
>
> Presumably you are saying that others do receive his posts, only he
> doesn't.

That is correct.

> If his settings contain "nodupes", is he possibly Ccing himself?

Both of our settings have "nodupes."  We've tried having him CC: himself
and he receives that copy, so the problem isn't his MTA.

>>Checking my MTA (Postfix) logs, I see that no delivery is even being
>>attempted for his own posts, but he does in fact receive posts from
>>*other* senders.
>
> Check the Mailman logs, post and smtp. The number of recipients in the
> smtp log for a post should equal the number of non-digest subscribers
> that aren't set to nomail minus the number of "avoided duplicates".
> Careful examination/comparison of this should provide at least
> circumstantial evidence of whether or not the post is being sent to
> him by Mailman.

Analyzing one particular post attempted by this subscriber, the Mailman
post log shows a successful post and the smtp log shows 58 recips.
Here's my subscriber count:

acc at box:.../mailman> sudo bin/list_members -r list | wc -l
      58
acc at box:.../mailman> sudo bin/list_members -r -n list | wc -l
       0

Not sure how to get at the number of "avoided duplicates," though.
Could you elaborate?

Nevertheless, tracing through the Postfix log for that particular post
also yields 58 recipients.  This strikes me as very odd since the sender
is a non-digest subscriber.

Thanks for your assistance.  Any further thoughts as to what could be
causing this?

- --
Anthony Chavez                                 http://anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc at anthonychavez.org         jabber:acc at jabber.anthonychavez.org