[Mailman-Users] Digest being sent over and over

Dann S. Washko dann at thelinuxlink.net
Tue Dec 7 20:03:40 CET 2004

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>>I think that was the problem, the directory owner.  A digest went out at
>>noon and I no longer see the digest file in the list directory anymore.
>>We'll see what happens tomorrow.
>>

>If it succeeded in deleting the digest.mbox, you should be OK. I wonder
>about changing the owner though. If that fixed it, maybe other
>permissions are not right.
>
>In my case the mailman/ and the mailman/lists directories are owned by
>root and the mailman/lists/<listname> directory is owned by www if the
>list is created via the web and by mailman if created by bin/newlist.
>All the directories have permissions drwxrwsr-x
>
>I think if group has rws, who the owner is is not important.
>
>Does this agree with what you see?
>
>--
>Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,
>San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

That is how my permissions are set, but apparently it did not like
having the owner of the directory as root.  So when the sticky bit is
set on a directory that means only the owner of the file and directory
may remove the file.  The owner was mailman, the owner of the directory
was root, and the sticky bit was set on the group.  I guess this mixture
worked to prevent the mailman user from deleting the file.

After doing some testing this is what I have noticed.

Since the mailman account does not have a password I cannot log in as
the mailman account.  The mailman account is not part of the mailman
group (is this a problem?).  If I create a test directory, with
subdirectory and in that subdirectory put a file; then set the
permission as so:

topdir:  rwxrwsr-x  mailman.mailman
   subdir:  rwxrwsr-x  root.mailman
      file:  rwxrwsr-x  mailman.mailman

and I su - mailman from root it let me view and edit the file, but I
cannot delete the file.  So, based upon me setting the wrong ownerships,
mailman did what it was supposed to do but could not delete the digest
file.  That was my problem.  Mailman was the owner of the file, but not
the directory so it could not delete the file.

Thanks for assistance.