[Mailman-Users] Location of Bounce Messages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Dec 7 01:15:46 CET 2004

David Morris wrote:

>I have not been able to find this question in a search of the archives or
>the FAQ.
>
>Where would the actual bounce messages be stored?
>
>I have a user (my Aunt) that recieved the bounce probe message and emailed
>me that they were wondering why they hadn't been getting messages from the
>list (digest version running about every 3-4 days). The probe message made
>it through, but she is still not receiving the messages. I can see in the
>bounce log where her bounce score increases, but I want to actually see the
>message that comes from her isp to see what they are saying about her.
>
>I am sure it is because of something her isp has done (over-zealous and
>clueless spam protection is my guess), but I want to be able to see that and
>give her information that will help her in talking with her isp.
>
>I can't find any help in the mail log either. I was able to see where the
>bounce message came back, but that is it.
>
>Is there some place where the original bounce message is stored for a time?

No. If bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is on you will receive
notification when delivery is disabled for bouncing. That notification
will contain a copy of the bounce message, but the ones that merely
increment the score are discarded.

>Or is there a way I can "listen in" on the bounce processing to maybe see
>what those messages are saying. Or do I need to turn off automatic bounce
>processing for a time until this is figured out.

Turning off bounce processing won't help. You still won't see the
bounces. If you could arrange your listname-bounces alias to go to you
instead of or as well as going to mailman, that would enable you to
see the bounce messages. This may be difficult to do if Exim is set up
to do the Mailman stuff automagically.