[Mailman-Users] sending mail to members in batches

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Dec 3 10:22:21 CET 2004

At 11:25 AM +0900 2004-12-03, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  I agree with your analysis, but that may or may not be the desired
>  effect here.  In particular, it may be desirable to throttle Mailman
>  specifically to something lower than the system-wide limit.  The MTA
>  may or may not be able to limit specific usages (how would it know?)
>  or users (in this case, Mailman usually has a unique uid, so that
>  would work).

	I agree that throttling would be a good thing to have, both
within Mailman itself, and also within the MTA.  However, we don't
have any control over the MTA, so all we can worry about is what
happens within Mailman.

	This is a an example of a classic limitation of most open-source
projects -- there are all sorts of things that various people would
like the system to do, but a limited number of people who are
actually hacking on the code.

	If someone cares enough about this subject to generate a patch
and upload that via the tracker at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=300103>, then the
rest of us could at least check it out and see what we think.  Once
generated and uploaded, that would have a much greater chance of
getting included in an future revision.

	Alternatively, this should be added as a Request For Enhancement
via the tracker at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=350103>, and
people just have to hope that someone who is hacking on the code
decides to pick up this issue at some point in the not-to-distant
future.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755