[Mailman-Users] A Simple Question about Duplicate E-mails

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Dec 2 21:32:27 CET 2004

On 12/2/2004 11:19, "Andrew Gendreau" <gendreau at umd.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I just setup a mailman server and it is working very well with the exception
> of one thing.
>

> Only one of the 50 something people on the list is receiving duplicate
> e-mails.  I am sure that he is not on the list twice, I am also sure that
> options for him such as "nodupes" are set and that Receive Duplicate E-mails
> is set to no.
>

> This isn't a problem whereby he receives two when someone replies to the
> list, but rather he receives two whenever anyone posts anything to the list
> for the first time.

This almost sounds like an insane filter in his mail client (or perhaps in
the mail server).

> I've tried removing and re-adding this user however that didn't work.

During the time he wasn't on the list, did a new message get posted?   If
so, did he receive zero or one copy?  You could probe that next time you
start a new thread in the list, if necessary.

> Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

You would like to see the full mail headers from a pair of duplicate
messages, and compare the Received: headers (bottom up) to see where they
diverge.  (Murphy's Law suggests that the recipient is using MS Outlook,
which will make getting the full headers remarkably difficult.)