[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 subject line problem

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Aug 30 13:32:48 CEST 2004

At 2:21 PM +0200 2004-08-30, Rimgaudas Laucius quoted Mark Sapiro:

>>  RFC2047 provides a method for encoding characters outside this range
>>  into message headers using either base64 or quoted-printable encoding.
>>  This gives headers that look for example like:
>>
>>    Subject: =?iso-8859-13?q?Subject= with= =c0= Baltic= character?=
>>
>>  Of course, there are major problems because not all MUAs create headers
>>  in this way  and not all MUAs understand them, but this isn't really a
>>  Mailman issue.

	[ ... deletia ... ]

>  We have tested source text of the message sent from our MUA. The subject
>  field was
>
>  =?windows-1257?Q?=E0=FEe=E1=F8=EB=E6=FB?=
>
>  So, all characters in ASCII and this mesaage did not go through Mailman.
>  So the problem is not in MUA.</x-charset>

	Re-read the section you quoted from Mark, but obviously did not understand.

	The problem is *precisely* in your MUA.  Your MUA is creating
subject lines which are using a character set identification method
which is not understood by all other programs, especially those that
are not running on windows.

	Since the entire world does not run exclusively Microsoft OSes,
you need to correct this problem on your end.  There is no other
possible solution.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755