[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 subject line problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Aug 28 19:03:09 CEST 2004

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>RFC2822 section 2.2 says in part:
>
>  Header fields are lines composed of a field name, followed by a colon
>  (":"), followed by a field body, and terminated by CRLF.  A field
>  name MUST be composed of printable US-ASCII characters (i.e.,
>  characters that have values between 33 and 126, inclusive), except
>  colon.

I quoted too little of section 2.2 in my previous reply. Section 2.2
continues:

   A field body may be composed of any US-ASCII characters,
   except for CR and LF.  However, a field body may contain CRLF when
   used in header "folding" and  "unfolding" as described in section
   2.2.3.

>RFC822 uses different language but also restricts the characters to the
>printable US-ASCII range.

Here too I overstated. RFC822 also restricts header field body
characters in the same way as RFC2822.

In any case, the point that the standards do not allow characters
greater than #127 in headers is valid.