[Mailman-Users] Wondering how long to send messages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Aug 28 17:55:34 CEST 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:

>	IMO, making changes like this while Mailman is still processing
>the message is unsafe and a very bad idea.  At the very least, I
>think you should make sure that Mailman has completed all of its
>processing and all copies of the message have been handed off to the
>MTA, even if the MTA hasn't completed its own processing.
>
>	But then, if those extra milliseconds matter and you want to
>greatly increase the risk of blowing off your foot with a
>hair-trigger large explosive device, you could always modify the code
>so as to allow you to do that.  Of course, you couldn't expect to get
>much support here for any of your local modifications of that sort,
>but then if you're willing to make these kinds of modifications for
>these kinds of reasons, you probably don't care about community
>support anyway.

I think we're getting a little off track here. I don't think anyone is
talking about doing anything that requires code modification.

The OP merely asked how long must he wait between posting a message and
deleting a user from the list to be sure the user still gets the post.

I still think that once the "completed" message for the post is in the
Mailman smtp log, changes to the subscriber list for non-digest
subscribers won't affect who ultimately receives the post. The
message-id of the post is in the log, so you can tell if the log entry
is for the post in question if that is an issue.

Further, you could just look at the range of completion times in the
log and pick say double the maximum that you see as a "reasonably
safe" time to wait.