[Mailman-Users] running newlist from a perl script

K. Clair kclair at serve.com
Fri Aug 27 00:05:52 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to run the newlist command from a perl script that is suid to
root (real userid is 504 and effective userid is 0), and I'm getting the
following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/mailman/bin/newlist",line 219, in ?
main()
File "/home/mailman/bin/newlist", line 160, in main
mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 454, in Create
self._full_path = Site.get_listpath(name, create=1)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Site.py", line 65, in get_listpath
_makedir(path)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Site.py", line 40, in _makedir
os.makedirs(path, 02775)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/os.py", line 203, in makedirs
mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/mailman/lists/mmtest'

The group mailman exists on the server where the cgi is running, and the
user mailman is a member of that group.  The permissions of the
directory are:
drwxrwsr-x    6 user   mailman      4096 Aug 26  2004 /home/mailman/lists

Has anyone tried to do anything like this and gotten it to work?  I'm
wondering if it is actually a problem with the perl script running in
taint mode so then it's not running the newlist program as setgid.

Thanks,
Kristina