[Mailman-Users] Mass settings

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Wed Aug 25 06:33:08 CEST 2004

On Aug 25, 2004, at 06:13, Allen Watson wrote:
>> You need shell access to use withlist. If all you have is the web
>> interface I suspect you'd have to go through and do it manually.
>>

> That's the case AFAIK. I'll have to inquire at Pair.com to see if I
> can get
> access.

bin/withlist is the best solution.

However if you don't have shell access, there is the kludge of
*locally* scripting the web operations necessary to get your result...
working entirely through the web interface.

Given a list of subscriber email addresses (which you may be able to
obtain by mailing the 'who' command to the list-request, although it
sounds like you have a list that you mass subscribed), you could script
something using Python or a shell script invoking 'curl' running on
your local machine that sent the web requests to set the options you
wanted.

For example, using Python running on your local machine, and assuming
list 'mylist' on 'www.mydomain.com' with admin password 'listpassword'
and the subscriber email addresses one per line in 'subscribers.txt':

#!/usr/bin/env python
import urllib

subscribers = open('subscribers.txt', 'rt')

listname = 'mylist'
params = urllib.urlencode({'password':'listpassword',
                            'conceal':0,
                            'options-submit':1})
for subscriber in subscribers:
     u = urllib.urlopen("http://www.mydomain.com/mailman/options/%s/%s" %
                        (listname, urllib.quote(subscriber.strip())),
                        params)
     u.close()

For extra credit, you could scrape the users that need setting from the
Membership Management web pages.

Or use a shell script taking advantage of curl's -F option.

I feel so unclean.

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/